Attracting users

This section is aimed at discussing how to maintain your site and make it successful once you have it online.
Anna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Attracting users

Post by Anna » February 27th, 2016, 5:11 pm

This is the really tricky one we all want to master.

How do you get new users to visit your site, and more importantly enjoy and return again and again?

First thing is of course make sure you cater to their needs. This means you need to know who you target with your site.
They are more likely to stick around if your site actually centers around their subject of interest. A hockey fan is more likely to stick around on a site that talks about hockey mainly then they are to stay on a generic sports site where hockey is just a small part.

The next thing is making sure you have content for them to read each time. I know this can be time consuming especially in the dawn of your site. But if there's nothing new when they pop on, it'll take them longer before stopping by next time and eventually they stop coming. In this area things might take care of them selves eventually, the more users you have that can contribute to content, the less you need to post yourself just to keep the site active. You should still make sure to participate in discussions though so the users feel they are not left in the dark.

Once you have users coming in, you need to keep them under control. This part is usually easy when you start out, few users posting means little moderation work. As the site and user base grows this part will start taking up a lot of time, you need to make sure spam is kept at bay and that the users behave towards each others. Enlist trusted members to help you with this task and it will be less daunting.

masodo

Re: Attracting users

Post by masodo » April 1st, 2016, 5:36 pm

The things you mention here are so true Anna...

I originally got in to blogging because I wanted to learn about the various content management systems. Of course you cannot learn too much about content management without content ;)

I have found that by sharing interesting things I come across on the internet I have and endless supply of material and preparing the content in a unique and uniform way provides the challenge.

From time to time I like to interject wholly original content to give the "followers" a glimpse of the wizard behind the curtain. :roll:

I prefer to spend my time on the fringes of the internet, avoiding the mainstream whenever possible. I was attracted to this website mainly because I realized it was maintained by someone with a profound understanding of the phpBB software (dedicated enough at least to develop themes.) I have found that anyone who finds enjoyment in creating themes for CMS software is my kind of host.

My website is a creation I do for myself - a true home page. I have no doubt I am the single biggest fan of my blog. Still, it's always nice when folks stop in and occasionally even return. I have no doubt that WebByAnna will appeal to others of like mind so I return to see what is up.

So while others may prefer to "surf" the internet I prefer to stroll along the shore and pick up the occasional polished pebble.
:) wishing you all the best,

Anna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anna » April 2nd, 2016, 7:11 pm

Yeah, the aspect of learning has always been what draws me to set up a site of any kind (the weaving site not as much though since it actually holds a purpose to spread the word of weaving).

I have not yet digged into the new phpBB version as much, theming aspect has changed a fair bit from what I understand. Most notably with the introduction of events that allows for plug and play extensions as opposed to the old mods that involved changing/adding code in the correct places.

I will get there though :)

Eagle_Kiwi

Post by Eagle_Kiwi » December 13th, 2017, 2:06 pm

That's all fairly simple stuff, Anna - but the way you put it all together and express it is simply wonderful! Very readable.
Thank You. :mrgreen: